Now we have obtained a general idea about signs, houses, stars and their positions and the lords of each star. The previous lessons must now be mastered by repeated reading, for, it is on the basis of those principles that we have to learn about the judgment of horoscopes.
The birth-chart or horoscope represents the data which reveals all the details completely through the entire life span of a person, attitudes, experiences, character and relations. It is on the basis of the position of Lagna (Ascendant), the relative positions of the planets and the various houses, we have to predict the experiences of one’s life. We are now beginning to step on the ladder of ‘reading’ a horoscope. Before plunging into horoscope-judgment it would be useful to know about the information marked in a horoscope.
The twelve cells in a birth-chart represent the twelve Signs. In a way this is a miniature representation of the relation between the person and the universe. It is at the time of birth that a person begins to be related to the open universe. The Sign of the Zodiac which is rising sign at the moment is the Ascendant or Lagna. We have already learned how to find out the rising Sign at any moment. Now we mark ‘Lagna’ or Ascendant in the corresponding Sign in the horoscope. So this Sign is the first house, the next Sign be-comes the second house, the next 3rd house…… and so on. The twelfth house is the last Sign that precedes the Ascendant Sign. Next, the positions of each planet at the time of birth are obtained from the almanac and each of them are marked in their respective Signs in the horoscope. Now we can find the Sign in which each planet is situated and also the house in which each planet is situated. Though a horoscope contains only this much information, it is surprising to know that from such brief information it is possible for us to write a thousand pages about the person and his past, present and future. The experiences of the person on each day of his life can also be predicted with undoubted accuracy. Astrology is so deep and powerful. However, for being able to do this the Astrologer has to acquire, by continuous concentration and meditation along with the blessings of the Teacher, the necessary capability, knowledge and application skill.
In a few lessons to follow we will learn the methods of judging a horoscope. From the moment people come to know that you know Astrology, they would approach you with various problems.
One may be asking you about his job, disease, employment, financial matters disputes or marriage while another person would be meeting you with problems connected with parents, brothers and sisters or children. Yet another person might like to know about the possibility of his going abroad to the gulf countries or of the possibility of his purchasing a vehicle, or whether he would be successful in possessing a particular plot of land and if so when, or about the probability of his winning a dispute in the court of law. It may also happen that a police official may consult you to have astrological information about a thief or a murder. In short all sorts of inquirers would come to you to know from your divine predictions about anything and everything under the Sun related to human life. So it becomes indispensable for you to rise to the occasion.
However, the only tool with you is the simple chart with just 12 cells. Everything would have to be shaped out from that bit of paper called the “horoscope” in order to satisfy your curious customer who is sure to ask various questions. No other branch of know ledge involves so much difficulties.
Further, if it so happens that some little error creeps into those predictions of the Astrologer based on a bit of pa-per, an avalanche of accusations that Astrology is treachery, that Astrology is superstition and the like, may follow.
You should get the horoscope and carefully examine it whether it contains all the necessary details with accuracy. Then on the basis of the Ascendant and the relative positions of the Planets and their distribution and lordships among the twelve houses, in a systematic way you should investigate the various items described below. (As these may be quite new to you, each of them are described in detail and illustrated with suitable examples wherever necessary.
Steps to analyze a Horoscope chart:
Following are the steps one need to follow to analyze the chart. Just remember the steps for now. We’ll discuss each step in detail in subsequent chapters.
- First of all you must find out the Bhaava (house) concerned with the matter inquired about by your customer. If it is a matter concerning finance or wealth it is the second house, if it is about younger brothers / sisters it is the third house; if inquiries are related to wife, it is the seventh house and if related to employment the tenth house is to be explored (refer to the list of items indicated by the sequence or houses in the previous lessons). Having fixed up the house that has to be looked into, closely observe the horoscope to decide the details as given in the procedure below.
- In which Sign of the Zodiac falls that Bhava (house in the horoscope about which you have to judge).
- Which planet is the lord of that house? (i.e .. lord of the Sign corresponding to the house-lords of the Signs and lords of the houses are the same). For instance, if the Ascendant Sign is Vrishabha, lord of the Ascendant is Venus; the lord of the second house (Mithuna) is Mercury; the lord of the third house (Cancer) is Moon; the lord of the fourth house, Simha is Sun, the lord of the fifth house (Kanya) is again Mercury and so on.
- Is the lord of that house a benefic or a malefic? (the ‘benefic’ and ‘malefic’ nature of Planets will be explained in the next unit).
- Which benefic and malefics ‘aspecting’ that house? (Aspects of Planets are explained later).
- Which planets aspect the lord of that house?
- Are those planets aspecting the lord of the house, enemies or friends of the lord? (planetary enmity and friendship are explained later)
- Which are the planets that occupy that house? Are they benefic or malefic ? Which of them are enemies of the lord, and which of them friends? Are those friendly or inimical to one another?
- What is the Sign occupied by the lord of that house? Is that Sign occupied by the lord governed by his friend or by his foe?
- Are the other planets occupying the Sign occupied by the lord of the house friendly or inimical?
- Is that Sign occupied by the lord of the house, his “exaltation-Sign” or the “debilitation-Sign”? (For each planet, there is a particular Sign which is its exaltation where they are very powerful while in their debilitation Signs they are very weak. These are explained later)
- Is the lord of the house occupying its ‘Mooltrikona sign’? Is it occupying its own Sign? Is it in a kendra (quadrant)? Is it in a Trikona (trine)? (Moolatrikona sign, quadrants and trines are explained later)
- Which planet is the karaka (Significator) of that house (The Significations of each planet has already been learned).
- ls the house powerful? (the strength of that house will be described later).
- Is the lord of the house powerful?
- Is the house aspected by the lord of the house or by the Significator of the house?
- What are the effects of each planet occupying that house? Will that effect be experienced? If so when?
- See the functional benefics, functional malefic and yogakarakas.
- See the Yogada, Kevala, Mahayoaga and other giver of yoga.
- See the Bhadhaka sthana and Bhadhkesh
- Lord of 64th navamsa and 23rd Drekkana
- Planets placed in different houses, signs and lords.
- See various deities of the native
- See the Flaws in the Quality of Time
- Signs having low SAV
- See different Yoga
- See Transit of planets especially Sade Sati and Kantaka Sani
Thus having identified the house which Signifies the matter required by your customer, the lord of that house, the Significator of the matter in question and the relative positions of the house lord as well as the Significator, predictions are to be done on the basis of the several indications listed above. Now we shall learn about some of the concepts referred to in the rules above. These are (i) the benefic and malefic nature of Planets (ii) Signs of exaltation and debilitation of each planet, Signs owned by each, Signs of enemies quadrants, trines, and the mooltrikona sign of Planets (iii) ‘Aspects’ of Planets (iv) Mutual relations among the Planets (v) strength of Planets and (vi) Different classifications of Signs.
We’ll cover all the above topics in this website in due course of time.